Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Broadband

I am 26 years of age, I have been renting for 5 years, at none of the apartments (5 different places) I have rented have I ever had a land line telephone, at none of the apartments have I ever had fixed line Internet, yet I use the Internet every day and night, I also make phone calls every day and night.

The company I work for is in the construction industry, 90% of the site based staff we employ don't know how to use a computer (regardless of age), most don't have a computer in their home, most have no desire for this to change. 

Knowing my demographics and the demographics of those that work with me I believe my small sample is representative of the spread across society. I also understand the importance of high speed internet for business, as at times the restriction of speed can be an issue (but this is very rarely), obviously other industries are different. 

What I refuse to accept is the Labor party belief that we need high speed Internet connected to every household. The take up simply won't exist, it will not be used by the vast majority of the nation. It is my belief that the CBD of all major sites should have high speed Internet, areas like Chatswood and Parramatta (and the equivalents in other states) should be included in that. Regional centres like Woolongong, Newcastle, Tamworth, Bathurst etc. should be connected to the network. However the suburbs and smaller towns should be driven by demand. 

You are a fool if you believe that Western and South Western Sydney needs fibre optics to every house, you are a fool if you believe that every house in the leafy Eastern Suburbs or North Shore needs fibre optics connected to every house, you are a fool if you believe that every business needs high speed broadband to function. You are a fool if you believe that the largest Government infrastructure project ever undertaken in Australia should be implemented with out a comprehensive business plan, without a cost benefit analysis and without proper scrutiny and consultation. Senator Conroy and former Prime Minister Rudd cooked this system up, they are the geniuses that also cooked up the Internet filter which the IT industry has broadly condemned. The broadband plan was created by the kitchen cabinet that was dumped by its own party, we can't sit back and let this plan become reality without putting in through proper scrutiny.

However I think come this Saturday, the very people that will NEVER subscribe to the high speed broadband at their homes or work place are going to be the very people that will commit us to this ill conceived idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment